• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rio

rio

Jose Quitongo

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

LIMERICK soccer will return to its ‘spiritual home’ at the Markets Field, thanks to a “generous donation” by JP McManus, the Limerick Leader can reveal.

Limerick’s Person of the Year has provided the donation through his charitable trust to the Limerick Enterprise Development Partnership Limited (LEDP), who announced this Wednesday that they had reached agreement with Bord na gCon to acquire the Markets Field for a sum “in excess of €1.5m”.

A licence to occupy the Markets Field will be granted to Limerick FC and supporters can expect to return to the former greyhound racing stadium “during 2012”, LEDP director Gerry Boland said.

“The generosity of the JP McManus Charitable Foundation made this dream come true and I am particularly pleased to see Limerick FC, now represented by Munster Football Club Limited, returning to its roots at the historic Markets Field,” Mr Boland said.

This is the third time that Mr McManus has helped sport in Limerick secure a decent home, with the racing tycoon providing €5 million to the redevelopment of the Gaelic Grounds and a separate €4 million donation for the refurbishment of Thomond Park several years ago, a fact revealed by Pat Whelan, chairman of the Thomond Park redevelopment committee in early 2009.

Mr Boland said that the ground had the “potential to become another excellent sports stadium for the citizens of Limerick and LEDP looks forward to working closely with Limerick FC in order to achieve this”.

Sources close to Limerick FC, whose chairman and benefactor Pat O’Sullivan had made it a personal goal to return Limerick soccer to the ground, were said to be “delighted” with the news and see it as a “major vote of confidence in inner city centre Limerick” on the LEDP and JP McManus’s part.

“The ground will be a focal point in that part of town and a key part of the deal is that it will be available as a municipal stadium for other sports also,” said a source.

The ground has not been occupied since July of last year and the club will now attempt to bring the ground up to FAI licensing standard, and expect to see it as a home to Premier League soccer next season, given the strong squad assembled by manager Pat Scully for this season, which kicks off on Friday.

The LEDP was established as a charitable organisation in 1999 in response to the closure of the Krups factory at Roxboro and its main objectives are the provision of education, training and employment and it is a major centre of employment in the area.

#2 stan

stan

Paddy Coad

• Administrators
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

Good to see, but it's old news, article is from many months ago.

The ground has not been occupied since July of last year and the club will now attempt to bring the ground up to FAI licensing standard, and expect to see it as a home to Premier League soccer next season, given the strong squad assembled by manager Pat Scully for this season, which kicks off on Friday.

Otherwise ^^^this might be news to everyone I suspect. :lol:
Respect mah authoritah!!

#3 Limfan

Limfan

Snackbox

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

Wont be happening while we are in the 1st division.

#4 gormacha

gormacha

Peter Thomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationThe wild west (of the county)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

Wont be happening while we are in the 1st division.

What? The move is contingent on promotion first? Seriously?

#5 Limfan

Limfan

Snackbox

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

What? The move is contingent on promotion first? Seriously?

We dont have to be promoted to get it like but the club has decided it would be a waste of time moving into the Markets field while playing teams like Salthill and Tralee.

I think its a way better option to move in when/if we are promoted to get a serious buzz going and get crowds up.

Work will still be starting soon im told so it will be ready to move into at the end of this season...

#6 Craig_Wufc

Craig_Wufc

Peter Thomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationWaterford

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

have to say jackman park is bad ground and the photos Limerick fc put on Facebook and twitter of what the ground could look like is it will one of the best in league of Ireland... For limerick fans it will be a good start to a most likely premier league 2013 season

#7 gormacha

gormacha

Peter Thomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationThe wild west (of the county)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

We dont have to be promoted to get it like but the club has decided it would be a waste of time moving into the Markets field while playing teams like Salthill and Tralee.

I think its a way better option to move in when/if we are promoted to get a serious buzz going and get crowds up.

Work will still be starting soon im told so it will be ready to move into at the end of this season...

So, let me get this right - you are arguing that it is better to stay in the worst ground in the LOI rather than move out on the basis that you have to play Satlhill once or twice a year? With respect, that makes no sense at all and smacks of being very defensive.

YOu don't put projects on hold until you have success on the field. Building a club is a multi-faceted project, and if you can develop the ground now, then that's what should be done.

#8 Limfan

Limfan

Snackbox

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

So, let me get this right - you are arguing that it is better to stay in the worst ground in the LOI rather than move out on the basis that you have to play Satlhill once or twice a year? With respect, that makes no sense at all and smacks of being very defensive.

YOu don't put projects on hold until you have success on the field. Building a club is a multi-faceted project, and if you can develop the ground now, then that's what should be done.

The ground is being developed now.

We could have rushed things through a bit if we needed it to be ready for this season.....We dont need it to be ready for this season because if we move in there now any buzz that was created from moving in would be ruined by the fact there is no decent teams in the league that would draw the crowds out..

Id settle for having the worst ground and the best team in the league no bother..Even though Jackman is not as bad as Mervue or Salthill for me so i dont see it as the worst ground.

#9 Craig_Wufc

Craig_Wufc

Peter Thomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationWaterford

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

I think your thinking just because there's a stand it's better then salthill and Meuvre but ya have to remember you have to count the pitch which is terrible and the bathroom which is only big enough for about 5 people ..then parking is a nightmare ..the dressing rooms also looks bad from the outside and really small

#10 el-pietro

el-pietro

Jose Quitongo

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

and the Limerick District Methadone Clinic behind the goal

#11 rio

rio

Jose Quitongo

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

i have news for all you blues fans, when i win the euro millions tomorrow night were moving back to kilcohan park and away from that fucking corporation ground

#12 Partizan

Partizan

Comrade Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts
  • LocationDBSC HQ, Ráth Maonais, B.A.C 6

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

i have news for all you blues fans, when i win the euro millions tomorrow night were moving back to kilcohan park and away from that fucking corporation ground

and I will reinstate the Tramore train.

Port Láirge Aontaithe CP 1930

An Uabhar Ó Mumhan

@@dublinbsc

#13 rio

rio

Jose Quitongo

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

and I will reinstate the Tramore train.

now thats a fucking idea <_<

im going to buy kilcohan off the dog people and turn it into a 10.000 seater stadium, the blues are coming home.

#14 Craig_Wufc

Craig_Wufc

Peter Thomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationWaterford

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Who would the manager be??

#15 rio

rio

Jose Quitongo